VLC Media Player is one of the most important tools that you can use for watching a movie on PC and Mac. But you have to wonder, can you really watch 3D movies on your computer with VLC Media Player? As you can imagine, you can, but there’s a bit of tinkering that you need to do in order to achieve that result. It will work quite nicely, as long as you follow the steps in this article. Do remember that watching a 3D movie can be hardware intensive, so you do need a good computer for this!
Requirements to Watch 3D Movies on PC Using VLC Media Player
Although it does seem like quite the challenging task to undergo, watching a 3D movie on PC doesn’t require a lot of things aside from good hardware. You will notice that even older PCs can run 3D movies, but if you want pristine quality or if you want to watch a 3D movie at 60 FPS, you will have to purchase a more powerful computer. Still, older computers can work well here as well.
As for what you need aside from your computer, you will need to install VLC Media Player. And you will also need 3D, red/cyan glasses. Naturally, you may want to get some good 3D glasses in order to obtain some good results. The experience can be a pretty exciting one, all you have to do is to make the right pick in here. And you will not be disappointed in the end, just try to take that into consideration.
Is this too much to ask for playing 3D movies? Considering that you most likely have VLC Media Player installed and you do need 3D glasses to watch 3D movies anywhere, this is not that demanding. On the other hand, you do need a good computer to have the optimal viewing experience. Sometimes you may be able to get that, other times not so much. So you really have to know what you are looking for in this regard.
Steps to Watch 3D Movies on PC Using VLC Media Player
- The first thing you want to do is to install the latest VLC Media Player version you can find. It’s important to use the latest version, as there may be some bug fixes and that will make your experience a lot better. Also, you need to make sure that the movie you want to play is a side by side 3D movie. VLC Media Player offers support only for this type of 3D movies. Otherwise, the movie will not work for you.
- Start playing the movie in VLC Media Player.
- You will now need to visit the “Tools” menu in VLC Media Player, and then choose “Effects and Filters” in that menu.
- You will now see a dialog box, make sure that you pick the Video Effects tab.
- Press Advanced, and here you need to check the Anaglyph 3D option. What this function does is it provides you with the means to enable 3D effects in your VLC Media Player. Normally, the application doesn’t come with such a feature active because it plays mostly 2D content. But if you do want to play 3D content, you will be able to do that, and this is the feature you need to use.
- This is all you have to do. Once this is done, you can put your glasses on and enjoy the movie. Depending on what VLC Media Player version you are using, you may have to do this every time you watch a 3D movie. But the process is simple and quite intuitive, so you don’t have to worry about it that much.
ALSO READ: Kissanime Alternatives | Best Anime Sites 2018
1.) Do you really need 3D glasses to watch this content?
Yes, you will have to use them, otherwise, you will not be able to see the movie properly. Although VLC Media Player does offer support for this type of movie, you do need to get glasses. And while you are there, try to get the best quality glasses that you can find.
2.) Can I use older VLC Media Player versions?
You won’t have to use only the latest VLC Media Player version to access this feature. So yes, you can use some of the older versions. That being said, it’s still a very good idea to use the newer version, as it may have bug fixes and some additional features. These may be able to make your experience a lot smoother.
3.) Does this function work only on Windows?
No, you can follow the same path on Mac and achieve the same results you expect. The thing to keep in mind here is that VLC Media Player has the same interface on all devices, so the experience can be a great one regardless of the platform.
4.) What can I do if I don’t see this function?
It can happen sometimes, in that situation just try to restart VLC Media Player. And you may also want to update the application, just to be safe. This way you will be certain that you can get the results you expect, so try to take that into account if possible.
5.) Is it ok to add other effects?
Normally adding motion detect, water effect and waves will not cause a problem. But it’s hard to know that because each movie has its own different features. So it does depend from movie to movie, yet most of the time you will not encounter any problem if you want to add any effects.
VLC Media Player is a great tool for watching 3D movies, and you should consider giving it a try. Using this media player for watching 3D content is easy, and it can be quite an incredible experience. You should totally check it out, as it’s an amazing tool that helps you watch 3D content at home in no time!